Our Barn Owls are back!
Tuesday 25th April 2017
Barn Owl by Neil Higginson
Our live Barn Owl webcam, from our Blue House Farm nature reserve, is back, for the sixth year in a row.
A pair has been frequenting the nest box for a month or so now and we are very excitied that, fittingly, an egg was laid over the Easter weekend! Three more eggs have followed, so now we are waiting to see whether the batch will be four or more.
Barn Owls have successfully raised young in the nest every year since we started the live broadcasts - and last year there was even a second brood. We believe a number of different birds have made up the pairs since 2012; conceivably, both of this year's birds may be new breeders in this box.
Blue House Farm, on the Crouch Estuary in North Fambridge, is perfect for the owls, with a good supply of voles and other prey in the fields of the coastal grazing marsh.
Over the years a loyal 'Barny Army' of online followers has grown, with the nest watched avidly by people from as far afield as the USA and New Zealand, as well as here in the UK. Now, once again, we are very hopeful that will be able to follow the fascinating family fortunes of breeding Barn Owls.
Keep up-to-date with all the Barn Owl news by visiting our Facebook page
- This is live, unedited footage of Barn Owls; at times, it is possible that there may be disturbing images of the natural world.
- These are wild birds; we are not allowed to interfere with breeding Barn Owls or their nest
- Occasionally, the camera freezes and needs to be restarted by staff at Blue House Farm. While this is normally quickly resolved, please note that staff and volunteers are also busy managing the farm and nature reserve.
- Thanks to Neil Higginson for the fantastic image of a Barn Owl in flight, taken in 2015 at Blue House Farm.
- Thanks to Outersight and Wildlife Gadgetman for their technical expertise
If you are having problems viewing our Barn Owl webcam try downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ Click on download and follow the on screen instructions.