Forest Schools - Den Building
Forest School and Coastal School programmes and training are offered by Essex Wildlife Trust. They take place weekly for small groups of children and are led by a trained leader who allows children to manage risk and develop skills through specialised learning processes designed to increase self- esteem through real life experiences.
It is a progressive, child-led and play-based programme set in a natural environment, using tools, natural resources and ropes to make fires and cook on fires; improve the area for the benefit of wildlife; learn to use tools and ropes safely and green woodwork. It has been shown to particularly benefit children who are disengaged with school, increasing their focus and behaviour, self-esteem and collaboration.
Essex Wildlife Trust Outdoor Learning team have been delivering Forest School sessions and adult courses since 2008 and Forest School training since 2014.
Our Forest School service:
- Forest School sessions delivered at your setting or at Essex Wildlife Trust nature reserves.
- Training to become a Forest School Leader or assistant. More details
- Forest Skills building day courses. More details
- Mentoring for newly qualified Forest School leaders
A Forest School programme with us includes:
- Planning with staff to meet learning objectives.
- Delivery of Forest School sessions
- Experienced Level 3 trained Essex Wildlife Trust staff
- Risk assessments and safety checks
- Tools, equipment and resources.
- Choose from six week, term or school year programme
- Forest School after school clubs
Children participating in Essex Wildlife Trust Forest School sessions will develop the following skills:
- Experimentation, mistakes, repetition and improvements.
- Risk management.
- Improved speaking, listening and vocabulary.
- Physical mobility and agility
- Increased self-confidence and awareness of the needs of others.
- Increased knowledge and understanding of the natural world.
- New skills e.g. knots, weaving, tool use, fire lighting and working with wood, plants and soil.
- Problem solving and collaboration
- Increased focus and interest in learning.
To contribute towards the funding of the Forest School provision from Essex Wildlife Trust we request the following donations:
Half day £100 - £150 (dependant on length of programme and number of sessions)
Full day £200 - £250 (dependant on length of programme and number of sessions)
Set of six half day sessions £850
Set of six full day sessions £1300
Site advisory service from £75
For more information or to make a booking contact:
Outdoor Learning Manager - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01621 862992
Follow Essex Wildlife Trust Forest School on Facebook to keep up to date with the latest information on
Forest School can also meet the needs of family or community groups - please contact us to discuss your requirements.