Essex Ecology Services Ltd
Take a look at our new website: http://www.eecos.co.uk
Essex Ecology Services Ltd. (EECOS) is a wholly owned subsidiary company of the Essex Wildlife Trust and has been trading since 1994. The company’s five full time ecologists carry out a wide variety of wildlife related consultancy work including:
- Phase 1 surveys
- NVC and other botanical surveys
- Breeding and wintering bird surveys
- Terrestrial and aquatic invertebrate surveys
- Legally protected species surveys and mitigation (Water Voles, Otters, Great Crested Newts, Bats, Reptiles, Crayfish, Badgers and Dormice)
- Site assessments for planning purposes
- Management planning and targeted Biodiversity Action Plan survey work.
All of the staff are members of the Institute for Ecology and Environmental Management (IEEM).
EECOS completed the original Phase 1 survey of Essex in the early 1990s culminating with the designation of Local Wildlife Sites, in consultation with local stakeholder groups. The company has subsequently been involved in reviews of Local Wildlife Sites for all of those districts that have completed one, drawing up new criteria for their designation in the process.
EECOS has extensive experience of management planning for a variety of sites and habitats, including both nature reserves and land under private or corporate ownership. Staff members are also experience in practical conservation management, including the use of chainsaws, brushcutters and other machinery.
Significant recent contracts include:
- Ecological survey work relating to Essex and Suffolk Water’s proposed raising of Abberton Reservoir including the design of ecological mitigation and habitat creation plans.
- Since 2001, ecological survey and mitigation work for Mouchel, agents to Essex County Council Roads and Bridges.
- Ecological survey work for a variety of Essex County Council schemes including at: Cuckoo Farm, St Johns School in Epping, Great Baddow bypass and Sible Hedingham Flood Alleviation Scheme.
- Management of the landscape contract on the verges of the A130 between Chelmsford and Basildon for Countyroute.
- Phase 1 surveys of Tendring, Basildon and Maldon Districts, Colchester and Chelmsford Boroughs and Thurrock.
- Reptile surveys and mitigation for the Wallasea Island Wetland Creation Scheme.
- Surveys of White-clawed Crayfish throughout Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.
- Design and planning for a major reedbed restoration scheme at Hanningfield Reservoir.
All profits generated by the company are returned to the Essex Wildlife Trust at the end of the financial year, to support their important conservation and education work within the county.
Neil Harvey MIEEM
Manager of EECOS
Tel: 01621 862986
Fax: 01621 862990